Monday, April 12, 2010

ELM

(I haven't been working on my blog as much as I like, but here's a new pic!)


ELI is a theory that helps us determine when attitudes about something will result in action (behavior). There are two routes to change attitudes based on two things: motivation and capacity. The central route is the "Gold standard" of change, while the peripheral route is temporary. Although the central route is the more desired, it is often more difficult to achieve than the peripheral route, which is why a lot of messages tend to use tactics that employ features that lead to the peripheral route. Sometimes, attitude changes are really only needed long enough for one event (voting?). So why put more effort once you get what you want? (I guess that's the thinking here.) The central route is where to go when more lasting change is needed. (Acceptance of gay and lesbian marriage?)

This graph illustrates how important two things are for agreement, personal relevance and speaker expertise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment